An Australian Business Number (ABN) is an 11 digit number that identifies your business to the government and community, and is used for tax and business purposes. Sole traders, partnerships and companies all have ABNs.
Why do I need an ABN?
An ABN is obtained for multiple reasons, including the following:
- It makes your business look more legitimate. It also provides an easy way for your clients to confirm your business by doing an ABN lookup.
- To register for GST or PAYG you will need to have an ABN.
- If you expect to turnover more than $74,999 per year it will need to be registered for GST. To register for GST the company will need an ABN.
- Most applications (including bank accounts) will require an ABN in addition to an ACN.
- If you want to register a business name you will need to have an ABN number for the company.
What will I need to apply for an ABN?
Our application is simple and quick and includes everything required to apply for your ABN. No backwards / forwards communication. You’ll need your legal name, tax number and expected business performance questions.
Can you operate more than 1 business with the same ABN?
You can register one or more business names under the same ABN, as long as they are the same structure type.